Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions


To inquire about positions within the system and to obtain an application, please contact Staffing at 443-809-4191 or visit their website. You may also download applications and view current openings.

School Boundaries, Moving, and Registration Information

BCPS offers information on school boundaries, registration guidelines, and moving tips. You can link directly to our registration information page or the school boundaries page.

  • I am relocating to Baltimore County; what school(s) will my children attend?

    To determine the school your child will attend, you can use our boundaries tool. Please call the Boundary Information Line at (443) 809-4215 with further questions.

  • How do I find out what areas or zip codes a particular school serves?

    Visit our list of schools and visit the profile for your school(s) of interest. Follow the link to the school's boundary map. You may also wish to see a high-level map of all our schools in Baltimore County. (PDF, 263 KB)

  • I am relocating within Baltimore County; how can my child remain at his/her existing school?

    To the best of our knowledge, the district in which you live determines your child's attendance and is non-negotiable. You may wish to contact the Residency Office at 443-809-6403, or the Boundary Information Line at (443) 809-4215 to discuss the issue.

  • How do I register my child for school as a new student?

    Visit our registration information & moving tips page.

  • Do you offer any moving tips for families new to Baltimore County?

    Visit our registration information & moving tips page.

  • Do you offer any tips for back-to-school?

    Absolutely! Along with our Back-to-School dates for the forthcoming year, a back-to-school checklist is usually included.

  • How do I arrange for my child's special education needs?

    You can find a complete list of our schools on our website. You may also wish to contact the Office of Special Education.

  • Do you offer any programs for foreign exchange students?

    You may wish to contact the Office of World Languages and inquire about their ESOL program. They can be reached at (443) 809-4029.

  • How do I register my child for kindergarten?

    Visit our Early Childhood or contact the office at (443) 809-4313.

  • How can I find out about magnet programs?

    See the Office Of Magnet Programs website.

Calendars and Dates

  • When does school end this year?
  • When does school open next year?
  • When are graduation ceremonies held?

    Visit the system's online calendar, or contact the Department of Communications and Community Outreach at (443) 809-5908.

  • When are back-to-school nights held?

    All BCPS schools have school web sites on which they will announce Back-To-School events. Use our school directory to locate your school’s web site.

  • Is school closed today?
  • Is there a weather-related closing today?

    Visit our status page. All of our web pages have a status line at the top with today's date and information about today's closings, if applicable.

  • What is the Hereford Zone and is my school in this area?

    Sometimes the weather in northern Baltimore County is considerably different, affecting roads and transportation in that area more than in other areas of the school district. Therefore, BCPS may choose to delay, dismiss, or close schools in the area and not in the rest of the school district. When this happens for the entire area, the notice will indicate "schools in the Hereford Zone." Schools in the Hereford Zone of Northern Baltimore County are listed here.

  • What is the weather-related closing policy?

    Visit our informational page about weather policies.

Contacting Schools/Employees; Personnel Matters

  • How can I get in touch with a former teacher?
  • How can I access a list of e-mail addresses for BCPS offices and/or staff?

    Most of the contact phone numbers listed on our Contact Us page do not have e-mail addresses associated with them. They are general contact numbers and can only be reached by phone. As we are obligated to keep personnel information private, please contact the Office of Staffing at (443) 809-4191.

  • How can I reach the Baltimore County Board of Education?

    Board of Education meetings are open to the public. BCPS posts news releases on our website in advance of all Board of Education meetings. If you would like to share your comments, please contact the Board of Education office at (443) 809-4126, or visit their website.

  • How can I contact a school?

    You can visit our schools page to see a full list of schools and link to websites, where applicable.

  • How can I find out about nearby private schools?

    We do not track information on private schools, but suggest you contact the Maryland State Department of Education for further assistance.

  • How can I find out about schools in Baltimore City?

    Please contact Baltimore City Public Schools for more information.

  • If you have questions or concerns about your child’s academic progress or success in school, you are encouraged to follow these steps:

    1. Talk to your child’s teacher
    2. Talk to the school counselor
    3. Talk to the principal

    After working with school staff, if the problem cannot be resolved, you may want to contact the appropriate community superintendent or executive director. Their telephone numbers can be found here. Please note that community superintendents lead the zone offices. Each zone includes several high schools and the elementary and middle schools that feed into those high schools. The zones are not geographical, but each zone includes groups of community schools from across the county. See list of schools by zone here.

Employees: Certification, Professional Development, Benefits, etc.

  • How do I renew my teaching certification?

    Educators contracted with BCPS must work with the Office of Certification to maintain their certification. Please contact the BCPS Office of Certification at (443) 809-4147 or to receive information on renewal requirements.

  • I took a course for MSDE/CPD credit; how do I obtain documentation confirming I completed the course?

    The Department of Organizational Development maintains a CPD database with all credit report forms recorded for BCPS employees. Duplicate credit report forms may be requested by contacting (443) 809-6491 or

    Credit report forms are forwarded to the Office of Certification to be recorded on the employee growth chart. Please complete the Certification Request Form and send to to receive a copy of your growth chart.

  • How do I access my BCPS E-mail?
  • How do I access my BCPS E-mail from home?
  • How do I access the BCPS Intranet?
  • How do I obtain a BCPS E-mail account?

    BCPS employees can enter a support ticket using BCPS Serve or call the Technology Help Desk at (443) 809-4672.

  • How do I obtain benefits and/or retirement information?

    Please visit the Employee Benefits & Retirement website, or call them at the appropriate number.

  • How can I view my current salary and benefits information?

    Access Employee Self-Service on the BCPS Intranet. Contact the Employee Benefits & Retirement Office with any questions.

Alternative Education, Dropout Prevention and Summer School

  • What summer school classes are offered?
  • How can I find out about summer school programs?

    Please contact Educational Options or call (443) 809-2270.

  • How do I get a GED?

    Baltimore County Public Schools no longer offers a GED program. Students interested in taking GED review classes should contact the Community College of Baltimore County (CCBC). For more information about their GED program call CCBC at 443-840-3456.

Test Scores, Statistics, and Records

Web Pages and Sites

  • How can we place a link on your website?
  • How can we inform you of an error on your website?

    Fill out the Contact Us form. This form is to be used for website comments and suggestions only, and no other assistance can be provided.

  • The website for my child's school is out-of-date; how can this be rectified?
  • My child's school does not have a website; how can one be created?
  • There is an error on a school's website; what can I do?
  • How can I get information posted on a school's website?

    As each school webmaster maintains each school's website, you would need to contact the administrative staff at the school in question. To find a school website, please visit our school directory.

Other Topics

  • How do I find out what school supplies my children need?

    As recommended school supplies vary on a school-to-school basis, that information would be published on each school's website. For school-related questions, please contact the school offices directly. You can find a school directory with complete contact information on our website.

  • How can we register as a vendor with BCPS?

  • How can we be placed on your bid list?

    Please contact the Office of Purchasing at (443) 809-4334 or visit their website.

  • How can I get answers to other questions?

    Contact General Information at (443) 809-4554.

Contact BCPS

Baltimore County Public Schools
6901 Charles Street
Towson, Maryland 21204

Report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse

Contact Leadership

Darryl L. Williams, Ed.D.

E-mail Dr. Williams

Follow @BCPS_Sup

©2020 Baltimore County Public Schools. All rights reserved.

Contact BCPS

twitter facebook Instagram Vimeo flickr BCPS Now Mobile App RSS Feeds BCPS Blog

Team BCPS Newsletter
Baltimore County Public Schools
6901 Charles Street
Towson, Maryland 21204

Report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse

Darryl L. Williams, Ed.D.

E-mail Dr. Williams

Follow @BCPS_Sup

Site Map | Accessibility

©2020 Baltimore County Public Schools. All rights reserved.